Brisbane is well known for its glorious weather, perfect white beaches and being the ultimate cycling destination for Australia. Whether you’re visiting Brisbane for a staycation or a local who loves the outdoors, we have put together 21 reasons as to why Brisbane is the ultimate cycling city and most of all why you should hop on your bike and explore this beautiful city!
1. Scenic Bike Tracks: Brisbane’s scenic bike tracks takes the beauty of cycling to the next level. Whether you’re cycling along white sand or pedalling under waterfalls, you will never be disappointed with Brisbane’s backdrop.
2. Family Friendly Bike Paths: Looking for kid friendly bike paths to take your little ones on? Brisbane has a range of bike paths which are free from safety hazards, not overly strenuous and most of all fun for the entire family.
3. The Story Bridge: One of Brisbane’s most iconic attractions and yes you can cycle over it. Whether you’re on your way to work or popping out to grab a coffee, travel over the Story Bridge and see Brisbane from new heights.
4. Anna Meares Velodrome: Named after one of Australia’s most iconic female cyclists. The Anna Meares Velodrome was purposely built for the 2018 Olympic games and is the home of the AusCycling Track National Championships during the Brisbane Cycling Festival for Elite, Masters and Juniors. The Velodrome is well known for its 45-degree banking, making it one of the most exciting venues to watch track cycling athletes.
5. BMX: Neighbour to the Anna Meares Velodrome, is one of Brisbane’s largest BMX tracks. Available for all ages and abilities, it is the perfect track for kids and adults to practice their jumps and gate starts.
6. Mountain Bike Trails: Looking for something a little more challenging? Then look no further. Brisbane’s mountain bike tracks are a great way to challenge yourself whilst being surrounded by the outdoors.
7. Tour De Brisbane: Held annually throughout Brisbane’s CBD and surrounding suburbs the Tour de Brisbane caters for people of all ages and all abilities with a 110km Gran Fondo and National Road Series Classic, 70km Medio, 30km Piccolo and a FREE Community Ride all taking place on fully closed roads.
8. Queen Street Mall: Pedal your way into Queen Street Mall and enjoy a delicious lunch at some of the local hot spots or shop until you drop as you make your way through over 700 fashion stores.
9. Climate: Soak up the sun and enjoy the fresh air, Queensland is the sunshine state for a reason. Check out just some of the activities you can do around Brisbane.
10. Water Bikes:Experience Cycling on a whole new level with Brisbane’s new Water Bikes. The easy to use water bikes are positioned on the Brisbane River and are suitable for all fitness levels. Perfect for families, friends and group outings.
11. City Cycle Visiting Brisbane and can’t bring your bike? We have you sorted. Brisbane city has 150 bike stations where you can hire bikes from for free and pedal your way around the city.
12. Beaches: Whether you’re after a refreshing morning swim, or a day relaxing by the seaside, discover some of Brisbane’s best beaches or take a dive at Streets Beach in South Bank, Australia’s only innercity beach located right in the heart of the CBD.
13. Food and Drink : Are you a foody and love new experiences? Jump on your bike and ride around the city and enjoy some of Brisbane’s new restaurants and bars.
14. Riverside Botanical Gardens : There’s no better way to start your Sunday morning then at the Riverside Botanical Gardens Sunday Market. Showcasing some of Brisbane’s best local produce, live entertainment, art and crafts, it is an event for the entire family.
15. City Cycle Tours: Don’t miss out on exploring some of Brisbane’s hidden treasures. Jump on a tour from the locals who know it best.
16. 99 Bikes Cycle and Trail Run Epic: Be part of an epic weekend from riders, runners and walkers to professionals, 99 Bikes Cycle and Trail run has something for all ages and skill levels.
17. The Brisbane Riverwalk: Walk, run or cycle, the Brisbane Riverwalk is one of the best ways to move between two of the city’s most vibrant precincts.
18. Best Breakfast Spots For Bike Riders: Helmet in one hand, coffee in the other! Whether you’re cycling in the suburbs or within the city, check out some of Brisbane’s best breakfast spots.
19. Electric Bike Tours.Explore Brisbane in a comfortable and fun way. Brisbane electric bike tours makes traveling through and around the city easy for all ages and abilities.
20. Brisbane Cycling Festival: Australia’s biggest cycling festival returns to Brisbane for the 2nd year! Featuring three weeks of international and national events. Come and see some of Australia’s best track cyclist compete or bring your family to the new Festival Village and inaugural active lifestyle expo based at the Brisbane Showgrounds.
21. Brisbane’s Bucket List: Whilst you’re cycling around Brisbane discovering all the city has to offer, be sure to check out Brisbane’s Bucket List and tick off some of the essential must see and do’s!
Stay tuned for our Festival Program of Events or sign up to receive the program when it goes live, plus receive access to other great Brisbane Cycling Festival information.